HELIAS CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL
1305 Swifts Hwy
Jefferson City, MO 65109
PRESIDENT: Mr. John Knight
PRINCIPAL: Mr. Spencer Allen
ASST. PRINCIPAL: Mr. Dwayne Clingman
ASST. PRINCIPAL: Mrs. Emma Williams
Helias Catholic High School is committed to providing excellence in education as established on the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church for students grades 9-12. Working in partnership with families, we are dedicated to providing a disciplined environment where Christ and His graces in each person are recognized, respected and fostered. As a teaching institution founded on the traditions of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and the La Salle Christian Brothers, we challenge our students spiritually, academically and physically as we help to form them to be active, lifelong, enthusiastic participants in the Church.
Building a community of Saints and Scholars for Christ.
Helias High School opened its doors with 467 students in September 1956, following the closing of St. Peter High School. Local Catholic leaders and families had spent four years raising $1 million, ultimately choosing the Christian Brothers and School Sisters of Notre Dame to teach Helias’ students.
Though the school initially struggled financially, it even found its footing, adding classrooms and other buildings to its campus in the 1960s. After initially separating boys and girls, the school became fully co-educational in 1969.
In 1974, the Helias Foundation was founded with the goal of raising money for capital improvement projects and school operations, thereby enabling the school to offer a more affordable tuition rate. In 1979, the Helias Foundation helped raise funds for a new fine arts wing for the high school.
Though students were initially taught by religious men and women, the school was primarily staffed by lay members by the early ’80s. This decade coincided with an explosion in athletic success for the school, with 14 state championships in six sports. The wrestling program, in particular, grew into a dynasty respected state-wide.
The 1990s brought along further expansion, with a new fieldhouse completed in 1992. By the end of the decade, Helias’ enrollment had grown to nearly 900 students.
In 2001, this increased enrollment was beginning to make the campus feel cramped, prompting the largest expansion project in school history. By 2003, construction began on 10 additional classrooms, an elevator, and a doubling of the size of the cafeteria. This project was finished in time for the beginning of the 2004-05 school year. In 2006, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary with a special mass and reaffirmation by Bishop John Gaydos.
John Knight, President
Spencer Allen, Principal
Fr. Mike Penn
Your privacy is important to us. Helias Catholic High School does not share personal information with third parties.