Special Education Teacher
At Helias we value the whole students; mind body and soul. In our ministry, we work with students with physical, medical, emotional, and/or diagnosed learning differences. We work to support students in the classroom as well as promote self-advocacy skills. By creating an open line of communication and building positive relationships between students, families and teachers we hope to provide a learning environment to help all Helias students thrive.
Process for Requesting Accommodations:
- Parent provides copies of all psycho-educational evaluations and other documentation supporting the need for accommodations.
- Based on the documentation received, Helias Catholic will determine if accommodations are warranted.
- In order to begin accommodations on the first day of school, documentation must be submitted by August 1.
- States a specific diagnosis (Service Plan, Accommodation Plan, Mental/ Psychological Condition)
- Diagnosed or reconfirmed within the last 3 years
- Describes presenting problem and history
- Describes limitations; how learning is impacted
- Includes dates, test and results used to determine diagnosis
- Lists recommended accommodations
- Includes professional credentials and signature of the evaluator
The Diocese of Jefferson City does not recognize 504 plans. If your student is currently on a 504 plan please set up a meeting with the Accommodations Coordinator to review what supports and accommodations can be put in place to support your student.
After submitting appropriate documentation and developing a Student Accommodation Plan or Service Plan at Helias, the student is eligible to request accommodations on the ACT test. The application must be submitted by the school but only at the request of the parent/student. It is up to ACT to determine if the requested accommodations are accepted or denied.
All accommodations are specific to each individual student. They will be provided and implemented by our school personnel to the best of our ability. Any and all questions and concerns can be directed to the Accommodations Coordinator.
If you have any questions please reach out to us via phone or email. We’d love to meet with you and your student.