Mrs. Elizabeth Twyman, Accommodations Coordinator
Mr. Kelly Fick, Special Education Teacher
Mrs. Jennifer Gerber, Life Skills Teacher
At Helias Catholic we value the whole student — mind, body and soul. In our ministry, we work with students who have physical, medical, emotional, and/or diagnosed learning differences. We work to support students in the classroom as well as promote self-advocacy skills. By creating an open line of communication and building positive relationships between students, families and teachers, we hope to provide a learning environment to help all students thrive.
Accommodations are specific to each individual student. They will be provided and implemented by our school personnel to the best of our ability.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us via phone or email. We’d love to meet with you and your student.
Process for requesting accommodations:
- Parent provides copies of all psycho-educational evaluations and other documentation indicating a diagnosis of disability that affects a student’s progress in the educational setting.
- Based on the documentation received, Helias Catholic will determine how best we can support the student.
- All documentation must be submitted with the application to enroll.
- States a specific diagnosis (service plan, accommodation plan, mental/psychological condition).
- Diagnosed or reconfirmed within the last three years.
- Information that should be included on the documentation:
- Date of evaluation and results used to determine diagnosis.
- Information on how learning is impacted.
- Recommended accommodations.
- Professional credentials and signature of the evaluator.
The Diocese of Jefferson City does not recognize 504 plans. If your student is currently on a 504 plan, please set up a meeting with the accommodations coordinator to review what supports and accommodations can be put in place to support your student.
If you are requesting accommodations on the ACT, please reach out to Mrs. Twyman or Mrs. Ralston (ACT coordinator at Helias Catholic). Documentation must be submitted by the school. Please understand that it will be up to ACT to determine if the requested accommodations are accepted or denied.